Editorial: Spicy chickens aren't free

To the people who shoplift from Brown Dining Services eateries —

We know you're not bad people. But based on estimates and anecdotes we've heard, it seems there are more than just a few of you. A 2005 Herald story quoted one Dining Services administrator who said that theft at Josiah's in particular is a "perennial challenge."

We're guessing you steal from Brown Dining Services — when you wouldn't shoplift from a store — because you feel a strange sense of entitlement. Maybe you rationalize your actions by saying you're already paying Brown tens of thousands of dollars for tuition, room and board. Of course, stealing is illegal and a violation of Brown's code of conduct. But since that doesn't seem to be a sufficient deterrent, we have a few extra reasons why you should take that slice of pizza out of your pocket and pay for it.

First off, Dining Services isn't exactly turning a huge profit, so shoplifters aren't justified in assuming a Robin Hood mentality. "People have a very limited understanding of how the meal plan works," said Melanie Masarin '12, the general manager of Dining Services' student employment division. She said she suspects some people steal because they "feel like they're being ripped off," and are trying "to get something out of the system." But BDS isn't looking to turn a profit, according to Masarin. And when you consider the costs of running so many dining locations, the rip-off theory doesn't seem quite right.  

Second, shoplifting is disrespectful to Dining Services workers, including student workers. Stealing from BDS places Brown student cashiers and managers in uncomfortable positions. It's awkward — and the employee may not know whether or not to say something to you or how that would go.

"If I was to cashier now… I think I would be very assertive," Masarin wrote in an e-mail to the editorial page board. "But my first semester, I would never have dared."

Dining Services tells its workers to encourage people to pay for things in a friendly way or to get a manager, especially if it is nighttime and the offending party is drunk. "We try to avoid putting them in confrontational situations," Masarin said.

Third and perhaps most importantly, shoplifting raises prices for students. Someone has to pay for that tub of hummus. There is no corporate giant absorbing the loss. As Dining Services' revenue comes from meal plans, presumably the rest of us will have to pick up the tab.

So take that spicy with out of your sneaker, please, and step right back onto the straight and narrow. Make us proud, Brown University. Use your points or meal credits, and pay for your food.  

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials (at) browndailyherald.com.