Editorial: No tolerance for intolerance

We were deeply saddened to learn that Raymond Chase, a student at Johnson and Wales University, took his own life last Wednesday. Chase, who was openly gay, was the fifth LGBT teenager to commit suicide in the past three weeks. All of the students are believed to be victims of bullying and harassment based on their perceived sexual orientation.

Many LGBT youth face hostile environments growing up, and it is highly unfortunate that the attention now being focused on this problem comes in the wake of a string of tragedies. A 2007 survey of Massachusetts youth found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual teenagers are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. Intolerance and bigotry at schools can never be tolerated, and we hope educators and school administrators across the country redouble efforts to create safe environments for students.

News of Chase's death came just days after Tyler Clementi, a freshman at Rutgers University, killed himself by jumping off the George Washington Bridge in New York. Clementi's roommate had secretly recorded Clementi in an intimate encounter with a male partner and posted the video online.

Brown is, of course, known as an accepting campus, but given the circumstances surrounding Clementi's death, we feel compelled to point out that the Code of Student Conduct is not very explicit on the issue of privacy in dormitories. The University should be clear that one roommate may not record or photograph the other without his or her consent.

In the case of Tyler Clementi, the internet was used as a means to harass and bully. However, technology can also be a tool to counteract cruelty and give hope to young LGBT individuals. Dan Savage, a nationally syndicated columnist, started the "It Gets Better" project, a YouTube channel where gay adults can post videos telling LGBT youths that things will improve as they get out of school.

Brown's Queer Alliance is planning its own version of the "It Gets Better" project, Jessica Mitter '13, co-director of the Queer Political Action Committee, wrote in an e-mail to the editorial page board. We applaud this effort and know that LGBT students at Brown will be able to offer a great deal of support, inspiration and advice. The QA will also be hosting a Coming Out Day panel discussion Oct. 14 "to provide LGBTQ youth with individual stories and resources to aid them in their own coming out and self-acceptance," she wrote.

Finally, we want to encourage students to take advantage of Psychological Services, which is located on the fifth floor of J. Walter Wilson. This year, students are entitled to seven free appointments with staff therapists, up from five last year. Psych Services also offers a completely confidential 24-hour crisis support helpline, which can be reached at 401-863-3476.

In light of last month's tragedies, it's especially important that students remind their friends of these resources. For those who might be hesitant to seek help, a friendly suggestion can make a huge difference.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials (at) browndailyherald.com.