Editorial: Not just beauty sleep

Last week, The Herald reported on a study that found that delaying school start times could improve students' academic performance. Associate Professor of Pediatrics Judith Owens '77 MD'80 conducted an experiment at St. George's School in Newport, R.I., that observed the impact of a later start time on student performance, according to the article.

The study then tracked tardiness, academics, and visits to health services before and after the start of the school day was delayed. Results indicated that starting school just 30 minutes later improved students' academic performance and motivation. Students also reported improved physical and psychological health. At the conclusion of the study, school administrators were sold on keeping the later start time, according to The Herald.

We were delighted to see results that supported something many students have known for years — nobody likes to get up early. But the results don't simply reflect students' desire to sleep in. Rather, they are firmly grounded in biological science. Adolescents and young adults need to get a solid night of sleep.

The Herald reported that administrators from other schools, including Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts, have already implemented a similar change. We hope other schools throughout Rhode Island will take St. George's as an example and consider shifting their school days as well.

We recognize that changing the school day will be more difficult in large public school districts than in independent schools like St. George's. Many school districts must arrange bus routes for primary, middle and high school students, which often means staggering start times so the same fleet of buses can be used for each cohort. But we hope the evidence is compelling enough that districts at least consider this type of change as a long-term goal.

Despite the logistical challenges involved, the collateral impact of such a shift would likely be small. Owens' study only changed morning start time by a half hour, from 8 to 8:30 a.m. Many schools finish relatively early compared to a standard workday, often ending by 2 or 3 p.m. If planned carefully, shifting the day by 30 minutes shouldn't have too serious of an impact on teachers or parents.

Of course, as the earliest classes at Brown start at 8:30 a.m. anyway, we are fortunate compared to many high schoolers. Though we sometimes like to think that we've outgrown pediatric recommendations geared to teenagers, Owens' study offers a lesson we can all learn from. Most high school and college students need eight to nine hours of sleep every night, Owens told The Herald. But how many of us can remember the last time we slept that much?

Between classes, extracurricular activities and social lives, our sleep schedules tend to take a hit. We hope you take advantage of the long weekend coming up to escape the library and get some much-needed sleep. Your grades may thank you for it; your body definitely will.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials (at) browndailyherald.com.