Editorial: Questions for the gubernatorial candidates

Thursday night, Brown will host a debate between the four candidates to succeed term-limited Gov. Donald Carcieri '65. The candidates — Democrat Frank Caprio, independent Lincoln Chafee '75 P'14, Republican John Robitaille and Moderate Ken Block — will debate in Salomon 101 at 7 p.m. The two candidates for mayor of Providence will debate at the same time and place on Thursday, Oct. 21.

We applaud the Taubman Center for Public Policy for bringing these important debates to campus. The outcome of these elections will have a tremendous impact on our state and city over the next four years. We are excited to have a front row seat to the democratic process and to hear from our prospective leaders. Here are just a few of the issues we hope are discussed this evening.

First, we would like to know how the candidates will balance Rhode Island's budget. Despite two years of spending cuts, the state is still facing a serious shortfall. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities reports that despite closing a $395 million deficit this year, Rhode Island is on track to run a $330 million deficit next year, or 11.6 percent of the total budget.

Given the national political conditions, it is highly unlikely that the federal government will come to the rescue as it has in the last two years. The deficit cannot be ignored, and we're sure that even in Rhode Island, eliminating waste won't be enough. Chafee has already gone on record supporting tax increases and has faced sharp criticism as a result. All the candidates should be honest and tell us exactly how they would go about closing the gap. If tax hikes are off the table, what gets the axe? We hope the debate's moderator, Professor of Political Science and Public Policy Marion Orr, presses the candidates for specific answers to this question.

Despite the need for some cutbacks, state government must play a role in spurring job creation and getting the economy back on track. In September, state and local government employment nationwide decreased by 83,000, more than offsetting job gains in the private sector. Moreover, many economists project that job losses at the state and local level will be a major drag on growth in 2011. Given the tension between the needs for austerity and stimulus, what kind of government job creation initiatives provide the most bang for the buck?

We would also like to hear the candidates' plans to curb corruption and cronyism at the state and local levels. A September New York Times article highlighted one investigation into city councilmen in North Providence who allegedly solicited bribes. The councilmen have all resigned and await trial, but more work clearly needs to be done. Rhode Island's prospective leadership should explain what they would do to curb improprieties.

There are many other important questions we'd like to see answered so that voters go to the polls fully informed. For example, what are the candidates' positions on pension reform? What do they see as the future of organized labor in the state? Would they sign a bill establishing civil unions or same-sex marriage?

We are very glad the candidates agreed to come to Brown, and we look forward to hearing them answer these and other questions. Next week, we'll have questions for the mayoral candidates.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials (at) browndailyherald.com.