In May, The Herald reported that the Admission Office saw a nearly 21 percent spike in applicants for the class of 2014. The record number of 30,135 applicants was cited by the New York Times in a recent article on a nationwide push by many universities for more applications without a corresponding increase in numbers of admitted students. The article suggests that schools primarily want to appear more selective and more popular, which could translate to higher institutional rankings and increased alumni donations.

As the article acknowledges, not all schools' motives are so self-serving. New outreach efforts can draw in underrepresented groups of students who, for lack of guidance or financial means, might not consider applying to notoriously competitive colleges. Indeed, Brown has made a concerted effort to reach out to these groups. The Herald reported earlier this fall that the admissions office zeroed in on talented would-be first-generation college students and underprivileged applicants via the QuestBridge consortium. Brown also took steps to improve minority recruitment, and ultimately saw a record number of black students matriculate in the class of 2014, The Herald reported. The outcome is commendable and a clear indicator of the success of Brown's recruitment efforts.  

These efforts to increase diversity and opportunity contrast sharply with efforts to manipulate rankings. There are several problems with soliciting more applications only to create an appearance of selectivity. The Times cites the negative psychological impact of rejection on students and the strain on admission officers. Moreover, in seeking to constantly grow the applicant base, a university may fail to emphasize to prospective students the defining characteristics that distinguish it from peer institutions.

The recent increase in applicants to Brown is likely the result of switching to the Common Application. But when it comes to Brown's standing in the Ivy League, Brown has little to gain from sharply increasing the number of applicants. The acceptance rate for the class of 2014 (9.3 percent) was close to that of Princeton (8.2 percent) and Yale (7.5 percent) and lower than the rate at Cornell (18 percent) and Penn (14.2 percent).

Rather, we hope admission officers and applicants have an open, forthright conversation about Brown's academic and social culture. After all, having a diverse or highly intelligent class of incoming students is not the lone goal of the admission process. Brown should seek to attract students from a wide range of backgrounds who are also good matches for Brown, something the admission committee here has consistently and laudably done. As this year's applications continue to roll in, we look forward to seeing next year's crop of select students, hailing from near and far, who are best suited to take advantage of all Brown has to offer.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.