Editorial: Get out the youth vote

Most of the upperclassmen can remember a chilly but clear November night in 2008 when Barack Obama was elected president of the United States. We watched, full of anticipation, as the votes were tallied and the historic win was announced. Many of us celebrated together, cheering on the Main Green and the steps of the Statehouse.

Fast-forward two years to this November's midterm election. We don't imagine that so many students will be glued to their television screens Tuesday night. While some students actively keep up with candidates' progress toward Election Day, the level of awareness among the general student population is nowhere near its peak of a few years ago.

Where there was once enthusiasm, there now seems to be apathy — and not just at Brown. According to a recent Politico article, Rock the Vote was only able to register 280,000 new young voters for this year's midterm election, down significantly from the 2.5 million that it registered in 2008. Other polling data in the Politico story indicates that youth voter turnout will probably decline significantly this year.

We've heard lots of different theories about what has happened. Is it that fierce partisanship over the last two years has replaced our hope with cynicism? Is it that the sweeping reform we expected has not come to pass, and thus we think the importance of our votes is diminished? Or is it that the celebrity factor surrounding the historic 2008 race is missing in 2010? Without will.i.am directing star-studded music videos promoting candidates, there is less glamour associated with filling out a ballot. And perhaps students who live in one state and go to school in another feel disconnected from the state and local races occurring this year.

While all these theories might explain the apparent apathy, they don't justify it. We hope that students at Brown will take time to reflect on the reasons they voted in 2008 and consider the potential impact they could have on this year's election outcomes. With a polling station in Salomon, inconvenience is certainly not a valid excuse.

We've learned a lot over the last two years, but right now one lesson in particular stands out: We can't expect our greatest hopes and ambitions for this country will be realized as a result of one election. And if you're not motivated by a particular issue or candidate or the general call to civic duty, at least consider the stakes. Regardless of your political affiliation, right now is simply too critical of a time to remain on the sidelines. The direction of the country is being shaped, and citizens must do the shaping.

Instead of being jaded by the seeming stalemate in Washington, we must see this round of elections as yet another possible game-changer and actively participate in the political process. Whether voting in Rhode Island or by absentee ballot, let's defy this year's predictions about youth voter turnout and prove that the voices of young people will be heard.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials (at) browndailyherald.com.