M. hockey winless on weekend trip to New York

The men's hockey team went winless on a New York road trip this weekend, falling to No. 10 Rensselaer, 3-0, and No. 12 Union, 4-2.

RPI 3, Brown 0

Bruno (7-10-4, 5-8-1 ECAC) began the game strong, leading the Engineers 8-5 in shots after 12 minutes, but RPI (17-6-3, 9-5-0) goalie Allen York was a force in net, stopping every puck sent his way. Brown gained a man advantage late in the first period, but gave it back when captain Harry Zolnierczyk '11 was sent to the box for charging the goalie. Only 15 seconds later, assistant captain Jack Maclellan '12 was charged with a slashing penalty, giving RPI a 4-3 man advantage. The Engineers were able to capitalize on the penalties when Chase Polacek blasted one by Bears' goalie Mike Clemente '12 at 14:23 in the first.

Only four minutes later, RPI doubled its lead with a power-play goal by Bryan Brutlag. Over the next two periods, Brown pounded the RPI net, totaling 36 shots to the Engineers' 16, but York did not give in. The Engineers added an empty-net goal with 2:15 remaining, securing the shutout win.

Union 4, Brown 2

At the outset on Saturday night, the Bears seemed poised to grab an early lead with eight shots on net in the first 13 minutes. But, in what has become a recurring theme for the Brown squad, the opponent capitalized on a power-play opportunity. After Bruno defenseman Marc-Antoine Carrier '14 was sent to the box for tripping midway through the first period, Union (18-7-3, 10-3-1) forward John Simpson beat Brown goalie Marco De Filippo '14 to grab the early lead. Maclellan tied the game, 1-1, early in the second period, but the Dutchmen responded with a goal just over four minutes later.

Union went on to score two more throughout the game, while the Bears answered with only one of their own.   

The loss to Union was Bruno's third-straight defeat. They hope to regain momentum with a home game against Harvard (4-16-0, 3-12-0)  Wednesday night.