Editorial: Iway or the highway

Over the last several weeks, a significant amount of downtown land in Providence was freed up when the state began the final stages of removing the ancient vestiges of Interstate 195's former path through the city. This is the culmination of a 10-year construction project, known as the Iway, whose astronomical cost has only increased over the last 20 years of planning and implementation.

Though the Rhode Island Department of Transportation originally estimated the final cost of the Iway at $299 million, the Providence Journal reported last year that the actual number was more than twice that much — $623 million. Once the costs associated with borrowing that money are taken into account, the final sum rises to $758 million. That's significantly more than Providence's annual budget, and over twice Rhode Island's current budget deficit.

Meanwhile, the Journal reported two weeks ago on a study that deemed 21.6 percent of the state's bridges "structurally deficient," the fourth-highest percentage in the nation. Unsurprisingly, a spokesman said the Department of Transportation was aware of this harrowing statistic, but lamented, "We simply don't have enough funds to take care of everything." Why could that be?

We do not mean to suggest the Iway is not a worthwhile project. Route 195's former path consumed a lot of valuable land, and the structures were eyesores in need of repair. Also, the project began before the worldwide economic catastrophe that strained budgets and highlighted the need for fiscal restraint.

On the other hand, we wonder why this project took precedence over other, perhaps more necessary improvements. Interstate 95's bridge over the Pawtucket River is in need of repair, and Barrington's central bridge cannot bear the weight of its heaviest fire truck. These repairs would cost a fraction of the Iway's cost, yet our state must now forego such overhauls.

To be fair, since the federal government paid approximately 80 percent of the cost of the Iway, not all of the money used for it could necessarily have gone to other Rhode Island projects. But Uncle Sam is even more indebted than Rhode Island and surely could have provided more targeted help.

Adding to the Iway's folly is the surprising fact that there are no concrete plans for the land's use. Bills have been proposed to the General Assembly to allocate the newly available land, and Gov. Lincoln Chafee '75 P'14 hopes to use the land to revitalize the city's innovation and knowledge economy, though he will have to debate with Mayor Angel Taveras and members of the General Assembly.

But why wasn't this settled long ago? We are astonished that such an intricate and expensive plan was begun — and finished —  without determining what to do with the land, particularly considering that freeing up land was one of the primary justifications for the project in the first place. This, of course, puts aside the thornier question of whether the state should be spending so many of its tax dollars on a project whose primary beneficiaries will likely be private businesses and universities.

Ultimately, the Iway will be beneficial to the city and state. We are not sure whether the project will be worth its cost, but what's done is done. It should serve as an object lesson. In the future, projects such as this should be undertaken only with great care and planning — it should be clear that the benefits outweigh the costs, and that other, more pressing needs are not being neglected.  

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials(at)browndailyherald.com.