Editorial: Nelson '12 for UCS President

Beginning today at 12 p.m., students will have two full days to vote on MyCourses for leaders of the Undergraduate Council of Students and Undergraduate Finance Board. We encourage students to support Ralanda Nelson '12 for UCS president.

This endorsement is not meant to disparage Nelson's opponent, Ben Farber '12. Farber is an experienced UCS member and current vice president of the council. We were impressed by his accomplishments during his three years on UCS — namely, his ability to implement small, everyday adjustments to create positive change. By focusing on the "little things" through his tenure on the council, Farber has been instrumental in producing tangible improvements to campus life, such as increasing dining options on campus.

But Nelson, the current student activities chair, has demonstrated impressive, concrete plans to tackle some of the biggest issues facing undergraduates. As a major leader on extracurricular campus life, Nelson has already worked alongside administrators and President Ruth Simmons to increase funding for the student activities endowment. This extremely important fund works toward eliminating the mandatory undergraduate student activities fee, and Nelson is committed to improving it. She stated emphatically that "Brown students should not have to pay to get involved in student activities," and the way that funding is presently structured "limits the ingenuity of Brown students." As chair this year, she decided not to raise the fee that had been increased in past years.

Additionally, Nelson showed an impressive vision, with arduous but achievable goals. She emphasized amending the Brown First Approved Vendor Policy, which she believes is neither the cheapest nor most efficient way to get resources to campus. She also detailed a plan to establish a contract with a new laundry service to set up an online system that would show students which machines are being used on campus and allow them to put money on their cards' vending stripes, among other conveniences.

In a particularly astute observation, Nelson remarked that students have had little say in the construction and implementation of new buildings on campus. She detailed an ambitious plan in her attempt to secure more influence for student representatives from academic departments, the College Curriculum Council and student groups over these buildings that have such an impact on daily campus life.

On the particularly pressing issue of housing, Nelson identified three of the most glaring problems facing undergraduates. First, she noted that first-years need more communal spaces to build a more solid social community. Second, she stated that sophomores, after living in more integrated places such as Keeney, are "thirsting for community" and need more attention. Third, she recognized that juniors and seniors need more high-quality suites on campus. We are greatly encouraged by her distinct emphasis on this issue, one that her opponent did not mention.

We urge students to take just a few minutes to vote on our leaders for next year. When they do, we hope that they vote for Ralanda Nelson for UCS President.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials(at)browndailyherald.com.