On the second day of A Day on College Hill, when many prospective first-years packed their bags and headed home, 140 minority students admitted to the class of 2015 attended the Third World Welcome. TWW, which began yesterday and continues today, is hosted by the Office of Admission as a supplement to ADOCH.

At TWW, prospective students spend two days touring campus, attending lectures and taking part in a variety of social and cultural events. The program schedule also includes a research panel of professors and students.

Los Angeleno Jackie Chow said she had already attended a lecture by Michael Paradiso MS'81 PhD'84, professor of neuroscience. "One of the things I look for in schools is how interesting the lectures are," she said, adding that Paradiso's class had "no parallel" to her other college visits. Chow said she is also considering Harvard and Penn.

"I know no matter where I go, I'll be happy," Chow said. "It's about where I'll be happiest."

Daniella Flores, who travelled from Miami, said she would definitely attend Brown for its international relations program. Flores said she appreciated Brown's "open atmosphere" and diversity. In particular, she said she liked interacting with other Hispanic students and Spanish speakers and was pleasantly surprised to meet non-native speakers who also spoke the language.

"Everybody seems really happy to explore everything," she said. "It feels free."

President Ruth Simmons addressed prospective students attending both ADOCH and TWW on the Main Green under a tent yesterday afternoon. During her address, Simmons said she wanted to refrain from "exerting too much influence" on the decisions of prospective students and instead challenged students as accomplished as the potential members of the class of 2015 to effect change and progress during their time at the University.

Simmons also gave advice to incoming first-years to actively seek out engagement in academics and ways to contribute to the community. But she stressed that the incoming class must practice "mutual tolerance" and not harass others when contributing to campus dialogue.

Part of the process of finding their places in the Brown community involves learning how to criticize each other and take criticism well, she said.

Simmons concluded her remarks with a final incentive to draw students to Brown. "I promise you that if you show up here in the fall," she said, "I'm going to give you one big hug."