The eighth annual Pixilerations Festival opened Sept. 22 at the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Creative Arts. The festival — part of a larger celebration hosted by FirstWorks — draws both local and international artists to explore the intersection of art and technology in the digital media age. Pixilerations, which runs through Oct. 2, will feature multimedia and musical performances and film screenings.

Pixilerations draws a diverse and talented spectrum of over 70 artists to the heart of Providence. Some artists are local, while others hail from Taiwan, England, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal and Sweden. Paul Myoda, assistant professor of visual art, will exhibit "Glittering Machine," a series of interactive sculptures.

All exhibitions are free and take place within walking distance. The Granoff Center and the Sol Koffler Gallery at the Rhode Island School of Design will serve as stages, and so will other locations downtown.

FirstWorks collaborated with the Brown University Creative Arts Council and the RISD Digital Media program to organize events, said Peter Bramante, managing director.

Pixilerations represents "a conjunction of many brains and energies working together," said Elena Lledo, exhibitions director of Pixilerations. "FirstWorks has helped a lot with their administrative support, RISD and Brown offer professionals and space and the artists are doing great things."

The festival "really captures how new media art is always looking at traditional forms of art and giving a new perspective," Bramante said. "The art being exhibited will give audiences a new way of seeing things."

The installations will also include a large-scale billboard exhibition downtown. Billboards, usually used to advertise products, will become canvases of expression, Lledo said.

Pixilerations is a celebration of the digital age, funneling artists from every corner of the world together to express themselves through new media.