Tupac lives on in library archives

Fifteen years after his death, rap icon Tupac Shakur has been honored by the opening of a collection in his name at the Atlanta University Center, a consortium of four historically black colleges and universities.

The collection includes 30 boxes of Shakur's written and video work, personal letters and memorabilia as well as work by Shakur's family members and collaborators, according to the center's press release. Artifacts within the collection date from 1969 to 2008.

The collection is intended for research purposes, according to the press release. It is housed in the Robert W. Woodruff Library in Atlanta.

Students celebrated the opening of the collection at a block party Sept. 13, according to an Atlanta Journal-Constitution blog post.

Carnegie Mellon to launch campus in Rwanda

Carnegie Mellon University will establish a branch campus in Rwanda, the country's President Paul Kagame announced at Carnegie Mellon's Pittsburgh campus Friday.

With its Rwanda branch, the university will become one of only a handful of American institutions with locations in African nations.

The announcement attracted protest groups against the university's involvement in Rwanda as well as supporters of the project. The history of Rwanda's government policies restricting civil liberties spurred human rights groups to issue an open letter to the university discouraging it from pursuing a relationship with the country.

The new branch will launch next fall with 40 American graduate students and will seek to recruit students from Rwanda and other African countries, according to a Carnegie Mellon press release. The program will offer a master's degree in information technology alongside local education, training and research programs.

Harvard opens Naval ROTC office

Harvard welcomed the opening of a Navy satellite office on its campus with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday, launching the Reserve Officers'  Training Corps' reintroduction to the university.

After Congress repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" — a military policy that violated Harvard's own policy of anti-discrimination — in December 2010, Harvard announced in March that ROTC would be welcomed back on its campus after a nearly 40-year absence.

Yale and Columbia have also moved toward reinstating ROTC in the past year.