A search is underway for a new faculty ombudsperson, a position that has been vacant for the past two years. The original search failed to yield a replacement for Flora Keshgegian before the 2009 hiring freeze.

The faculty ombudsperson offers an impartial perspective in resolving conflicts and grievances among faculty members and postdoctoral research fellows to ensure they are treated "fairly and equitably," according to the ombudsperson website.

During the vacancy, conflicts and grievances are being taken to the faculty's Committee on Grievance. The committee currently has no chair or vice chair and consists of members who are relatively new. "It is clear that when the (ombudsperson) position was last filled there were more cases heard than were handled by the grievance committee," wrote Peter Shank, chair of the Faculty Executive Committee, in an email to The Herald.

According to an annual ombudsperson's report, 26 faculty members and postdoctoral fellows used the Office of the Faculty Ombudsperson during the 2008-09 academic year. No grievances were reviewed during the 2009-10 academic year, according to a grievance committee report.

Professors said they have not used the ombudsperson's office in past years but still consider it useful. Josh Schechter, associate professor of philosophy, said he has never dealt directly with the ombudsperson, but said it is "a good idea for Brown to have one."

The University aims to hire someone to fill the position as soon as possible, no later than next semester.