Remick '13 leads team toward fast start to season

Men's soccer team defender Dylan Remick '13 has been named this week's Athlete of the Week for his strong play so far in the Bears' young season. Remick, a unanimous selection for last year's First Team All-Ivy squad, was named Most Valuable Player of the Ocean State Soccer Classic over Labor Day weekend, where the team (4-1) won with a pair of 1-0 victories. Remick also scored the game-winning goal in Brown's 2-0 win against Cleveland State (5-2) last week. For his stellar play, Remick has been named The Herald's first Athlete of the Week for this fall season.

Herald: Who's your all-time favorite soccer player?

Remick: I really, really like David Villa and Gareth Bale. David Villa plays for Barcelona, and Gareth Bale plays for Tottenham.

Do you support any professional soccer teams?

Yes. I sort of support teams in each league. I support Tottenham in the EPL (English Premier League), which is what most people watch anyway. And then I support Rayo Vallecano in the Spanish league.

Who's your all-time favorite athlete?

I'd say Michael Jordan. I grew up in Chicago. His willingness to compete and win is just unlike any other I've ever seen.

Do you have any superstitions or game rituals?

Yeah, I've got a few. I like to listen to some Taylor Swift before the game, and then I have a lucky pair of socks that I wear for each game.

What's your proudest soccer-related achievement?

I'd have to say winning the Ivy League last year was probably my proudest, just because we hadn't won it in so long. The seniors last year really, really wanted to win one because each Brown class has won one for men's soccer. So, they really wanted to continue that tradition. So, being a part of that - winning my first Ivy League - was a big accomplishment for us all.

What's on your iPod?

I like a lot of country­ - Taylor Swift. I listen to her before the games - (that's) the reason why I really like her. I also have some hip-hop on there, a little bit of some jazz music for relaxing days. But I like pretty much everything. I'll sort of listen to anything.

What are some of your favorite movies?

It sort of depends on the genre. Let me think. "Miracle" is obviously a great inspiration movie of course ... "Shawshank Redemption" is a great movie. I like all the classics ... Godfather, Scarface

How did you get into playing soccer?

My family's a very athletic bunch. Both my mom and my dad played sports in high school. I have a twin brother, so we pretty much grew up playing every sport imaginable: baseball, soccer, basketball, tennis, golf. And we both really enjoyed playing soccer. So, I just continued to play and as I got better, older, it became more enjoyable. So I just stuck with it from there and haven't looked back since.

If you weren't playing soccer, what would you play?

Well, I ran track in high school and I ran for my freshman year at Brown. So, I'd assume that it'd be running track. It's always fun to compete and run in the races in track. It's a different kind of sport because it's more individual, whereas soccer's a team, so I sort of like a little bit of that aspect as well.