Athlete of the week: Jette ’17 scores game-winning touchdown

Bruno secures first win of the season against URI on the back of junior’s late-game heroics

After struggling to generate enough offense in its first two games, the football team was finally able to notch its first victory of the season Saturday against the University of Rhode Island. The game marked the 100th meeting between the Bears and their Ocean State rivals, with the winner claiming the Governor’s Cup. Though Bruno trailed the Rams going into the fourth quarter, the squad’s fast-paced offense kicked into gear to pull off the thrilling win.

Wide receiver Alex Jette ’17 played a crucial role in the team’s efforts over the weekend. Considered one of the best at his position in the Ancient Eight, Jette contributed two touchdowns against the Rams. After snagging his first touchdown late in the opening quarter, Jette pulled off an acrobatic leaping grab in the corner of the end zone with just over five minutes remaining in the contest for his second of the game. The Bears were trailing 31-27, but Jette’s incredible catch stole the lead and momentum from the Rams.

For his incredible touchdown catch and last-minute heroics, Jette has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: When did you first start playing football?

Jette: I’ve been playing ever since I was five years old, starting out with two-hand touch. I started Pop Warner when I was seven, so it’s been probably a solid 15 years or so. My dad was my coach growing up through Pop Warner and up until high school. So that’s kind of played a big role.

What was it like having your dad as a coach?

It was good. I have a twin brother who also played football through high school, and my dad was really hard on us, but I think it was good. He wasn’t one of those dads who was biased towards his sons. You kind of see that now in the younger ages, where the coach’s son gets favoritism. He was a good coach. We were able to play because we were good players and not because we were his sons.

What is your favorite part of being a member of Brown’s football team?

Just the family. You walk around campus and you have 100-plus other guys you consider your brothers. Everywhere you go, you are kind of surrounded by those guys. They are your buddies on and off the field. We all have each others’ backs. I think that is a big reason why I chose Brown: the family aspect.

After being down going into the last minutes of the fourth quarter, how did it feel to make that catch?

Unbelievable. I think the whole drive was just unbelievable. I know Head Coach Phil Estes P’18 said it, but we were all on the sidelines ready to go. We were like, ‘We want the ball back in our hands. We know we’re going to drive down there and score a touchdown.’ And then we knew our defense was going to stop them, which they did with Jordan Ferguson ’17 picking that ball off to seal the deal. Surreal moment to me.

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

Not really. I’m not one to listen to the same music or wear certain socks. I guess when we come out of the tunnel before the game, I do kind of do the same thing over and over again where I run down to the end zone, do a little stretching and then sprint to the 50-yard line. That’s kind of my deal. Nothing really exotic.

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.