Corporation accepts $104 million in gifts and pledges at October meeting

Fellows, trustees also met with students, dedicated new wellness center

<p>The Global Brown Center for International Students will work to assist the incoming students in their transition, support them academically and establish community.</p>

The Global Brown Center for International Students will work to assist the incoming students in their transition, support them academically and establish community.

The Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, accepted $104 million in gifts and pledges during its October meeting, President Christina Paxson P’19 announced in Monday Today@Brown announcement

The $104 million in gifts and pledges will contribute to endowed positions, financial aid, athletics and academic programs, according to the announcement. Each gift was in the amount of $1 million or more. 

“The success of BrownTogether to date and in the future builds from gifts of many dollar amounts, and all are essential to our success and deeply appreciated,” Paxson wrote.

The Corporation also approved the creation of five endowed positions with the support of this funding, including two professorships, two assistant professorships and a women’s tennis coach position. The Cancer Center at Brown was renamed the Legorreta Cancer Center at Brown because of the donation by Pablo G. Legorreta P’21 and Almudena Legorreta P’21. The Corporation appointed nine faculty members to named chair positions.

The Corporation also discussed efforts to increase affordability of and access to Brown, including covering tuition for students whose families make less than $125,000 annually; moving to need-blind admission for international students; beginning an initiative to connect Providence public school students to Brown and other selective four-year institutions and increasing payouts from the endowment, The Herald previously reported.

The Corporation consists of the 12-member Board of Fellows and the 42-member Board of Trustees. It meets in October, February and May to oversee long-term University planning such as setting tuition amounts, appointing the president and establishing strategic plans. 

This month’s meeting marked the first held in person since February 2020 due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Paxson wrote. The previous four meetings were held virtually over the span of several weeks, The Herald previously reported

Corporation members met with students this month to discuss issues of diversity and inclusion, University finances and values, the long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and including student voices in the Corporation. They also met with members of the Faculty Executive Committee to discuss “​​issues of importance to faculty.”

Also during the weekend, Corporation members dedicated the Sternlicht Commons and Brown University Health and Wellness Center and “expressed deep gratitude for the donors whose generosity made that wonderful new residence hall and health and wellness center possible for Brown students,” Paxson wrote.

The Corporation also welcomed six new trustees and one New Alumni Trustee. Three alums — John C. Atwater ’83, Pamela R. Reeves ’87 and Nancy G. Zimmerman ’85 — joined the Board of Fellows.