Editors' Note: A final farewell, from 132 to you

Seventy-four papers. One-hundred-twenty-two production nights. Seemingly endless hours together, holed up at 88 Benevolent St. And yet, it feels so soon — today’s paper marks our 74th and final issue as The Herald’s 132nd Editorial Board. 

This year has seen crucial changes to our political and cultural climate, both on campus and around the world. Our editorial staff has stepped up, deftly navigating these topics with grace, sensitivity and integrity. 

When a leaked memo indicated Roe v. Wade would soon be struck down, several students trusted us to tell the stories of their own abortion experiences. Members of Natives at Brown shared the struggles they’ve faced getting recognition from the University for their work and activism, in addition to the community they’ve created as an organization. And when Ukrainian and Afghan students faced conflict in their home countries, they described their journey to Providence and how they’ve since navigated college life.

Our reporters have also engaged in journalism that has held power accountable. They’ve rigorously investigated allegations of racism within one of the University’s most highly resourced clubs, prompting the Undergraduate Finance Board to investigate its funding. They’ve dug deeper into computer science teaching assistant concerns over strenuous working conditions.

The Herald’s Data Desk has also launched ambitious and cutting-edge projects during our tenure. This semester marked an inaugural collaboration with the Brown Opinion Project in conducting our semesterly poll, resulting in an interactive and immersive website to showcase the results. Using data from the poll, reporters embarked to ask students: “Where on College Hill are you happiest?” 

Our Bruno Brief podcast staff has elevated our coverage in the past year, offering listeners immersive and deeply reported episodes week after week. Last semester, reporters dove into the history of gentrification on College Hill. More recently, the team has thoughtfully and creatively covered sexual politics on campus, writing about queer history at the University and Brown’s penchant for baring it all

As we hand off our keys and say our goodbyes, we’re already so proud of all that the 133rd Editorial Board has accomplished and all that’s yet to come. We’re excited to see The Herald staff innovate, particularly by expanding the paper’s data and digital presence, while bringing you critical coverage of campus and the greater Providence community. And, of course, we will wait with bated breath for every new TikTok and Instagram reel that appears on our feed.

And as our time at The Herald comes to a close, we’re grateful for so much.

We’re grateful for a redecorated office, falling posters and all. Slowly sinking couches and old keyboards that clack just right. Electric tape for beautifying our slug board. Benoptocon.

We’ll miss the POC picnics and LGBTQ feasts that keep our communities close. Happy hours and 9-spots that bring our staff together. Forgiveness for all the times we have run late to vertical, requested specifically in the form of donuts. 

Heng Thai and meal swipes gifted by section editors for sustaining us all the times we said we’d cook but didn’t. Dunkin’ runs for some pre-prod pep, and Metro Mart runs when it’s going to be a late one. Coke Zero, of course — at all times of day.

And we can’t forget to appreciate all our friends and family who supported us through this year — for all the times we’ve slept through plans, missed evening activities or talked endlessly about the paper.

We’ve been lucky enough to spend 2022 alongside a team of immensely talented writers, editors, photographers, coders, designers and business staff — some of the most thoughtful, funny and kind people we’ll have the privilege of meeting during our time here at Brown. We will always admire their dedication to the paper, and we are endlessly appreciative of the patience they’ve shown as we’ve navigated this year. We couldn’t have done this without them.

And finally, we’re grateful for you, our readers. Whether through inspiring our latest coverage, coming forward as sources or keeping us accountable, we’ve been lucky to have earned your readership. Thank you for engaging with The Herald throughout this year. We hope you keep reading through the next — we definitely will be.

Editors’ notes are written by The Herald’s 132nd Editorial Board: Ben Glickman ’23, Benjamin Pollard ’23, Caelyn Pender ’23, Katie Chen ’23, Gaya Gupta ’23 and Jack Walker ’23 MA’23.