‘The Crime Is Mine’ finds a place in America’s social landscape

French comedy film bridges feminist dialogue, laugh-out-loud humor

“The Crime Is Mine” tells a heartwarming story of the sisterhood between two women struggling to establish themselves in a world that is not on their side.
Courtesy of Music Box Films
“The Crime Is Mine” tells a heartwarming story of the sisterhood between two women struggling to establish themselves in a world that is not on their side. Courtesy of Music Box Films

François Ozon’s crime-comedy “The Crime is Mine” does not break obvious genre molds of French cinema, but still proves itself relevant to an American audience. The film, featured in this year’s Providence French and Francophone Film Festival, is exceptionally well-done. 

Set in 1930s Paris, “The Crime Is Mine” tells the story of two roommates: aspiring actress Madeleine (Nadia Tereszkiewicz) and lawyer Pauline (Rebecca Marder). When Madeline is wrongfully accused of murder, Pauline steps in to defend her in court. 

In an interview with Variety, Ozon described the film as echoing “what’s been happening in the last few years in the Western world with a new wave of feminism.” Despite the film being set nearly 100 years in the past, it feels relevant in today’s social landscape. 

Beyond its feminist themes and its sharp, wacky comedy, in a day and age where a majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, the film asks viewers a difficult question: Would the stigma of pretending to be the supposed culprit of a high-profile crime, even if in self-defense, be worth freedom from financial burden?

Madeleine finds herself facing exactly this dilemma after a notable theater producer attempts to sexually assault her and is found dead shortly after her escape. During Madeleine’s initial questioning, Pauline, friend-turned-lawyer, suggests that Madeleine falsely admit to the crime in hopes that she is acquitted by claiming self-defense.

But the commentary, also applicable to the American justice system, is continued in the film’s comedic portrayal of media sensationalism. Madeleine’s highly publicized trial turns her into an overnight superstar thanks to Pauline’s scripted testimonies and arguments focusing on the unfair plight of working-class single women in 20th-century France. Given the recent media frenzy surrounding Depp v. Heard, the film doesn’t feel far-fetched. 

Yet through its heavy thematic layers and frequently dark subject matter, “The Crime Is Mine” still delights viewers through the juxtaposition of its time period with a modern approach to the comedy genre. The quick-witted deliveries of Tereszkiewicz and Marder bring the characters of Madeleine and Pauline to life. Many of the film’s gags — notably, the subplot of Pauline’s crush on Madeleine — are in touch with the genre of internet humor often seen in 2024.

Similar to feminist comedy films like Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie,” “The Crime Is Mine” tells a heartwarming story of the sisterhood between two women struggling to establish themselves in a world that is not on their side. Beyond its depths of comedic social commentary, the unlikely victories of Madeleine and Pauline make it a must watch.