A revised publicity policy released by the Student Activities Office this spring outlines new guidelines for student organizations to follow when promoting group events.

The updated regulations, released in April, are intended to include all forms of publicity, including social media, flyers, banners and sidewalk chalk, according to the SAO website.

The guidelines specify that all publicity materials must identify the sponsor and name a contact person for disabled individuals seeking accommodations. Additionally, all materials should express who is permitted to attend the event and what items are permitted or prohibited. The policy stresses that alcohol promotion is prohibited and no events where alcohol is served may be open to the general public.

Specific policies also exist for the promotion of individuals. For example, under the revised guidelines campaign posters may only be placed on bulletin boards or other specifically designated areas, and no materials may be placed over others.

Banners may not be hung for more than one week. Past that time, event sponsors are responsible for removing them. Additionally, promoting events using sidewalk chalk is permitted only on horizontal surfaces in areas that are exposed to rain so that it will be washed away, the guidelines say, and only water-soluble chalk can be used. Using tape to write messages promoting events, meanwhile, is prohibited.

The guidelines warn that groups that violate them can face fines and possibly non-academic disciplinary action. They may also be referred to a governing body such as the Undergraduate Student Council.