Elisha Benjamin Andrews 1870, who served as the University's president from 1889 to 1898, was inducted into the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame Nov. 12 at the 14th Annual Historical Induction Convocation.

Andrews was "a highly successful president of a major college," said Patrick Conley, president of the hall of fame and 1995 inductee. He was also a noteworthy author and economist, a leader of other schools, and an ordained member of the clergy — "a tremendously versatile individual" marked by "great energy and great pertinence," Conley said.

"He was an innovator at Brown in several ways as well," Conley said. "He had a great rapport with the student body."

In addition to founding Pembroke College, he was very focused on Brown becoming a "true University" as opposed to simply a college, according to his biography on the website of the Office of the President.

Other former presidents who have been inducted to the hall of fame include James Manning, Francis Wayland, Barnaby Keeney and William Faunce 1880.

"Brown is heavily represented in the hall of fame," Conley said. "I would say that there are more Brown University graduates in the hall of fame than any other five colleges or universities combined."

Andrews was inducted along with 10 other Rhode Islanders who lived between 1800 and 1920, Conley said.

"We've been inducting historical personages by generation," said Conley, who is also the chairman of the Historians' Committee. "It's very complete for all the modern period, from the time of the hall of fame's founding in 1965 to the present."

But, he said, the hall of fame lacked "historical balance." Adding people of "great significance" from earlier periods such as Andrews helped add such balance, he said.

"Dear, gallant, stalwart, splendid Bennie Andrews. The zest of life was in him to the brim. He loved the things a man might be. Oh, what a gallant fight he made, and what a hard one! I cannot mourn that he is gone; I am too glad that he has been and is. He was a man. Yes, take him all in all, we shall not see his like again." — eulogy by Alexander Meiklejohn 1893 (Source: Encyclopedia Brunoniana)