Shanghai Restaurant food has returned to the Blue Room after service was suspended last April when a student found a grasshopper in her food. Shanghai will be served Thursdays and Sundays, and for the first time, Mama Kim's will be offered Tuesdays and Saturdays as an official menu fixture.

"We could not find a reasonable explanation for how this happened," said Aaron Fitzsenry, Brown's culinary manager of retail operations, about the grasshopper incident.    

Fitzsenry said he watched how food is prepared in Shanghai's kitchen. Ray Hugh, Shanghai's owner, has been very forthcoming with information, Fitzsenry said. Hugh brought forth all of his records concerning licensing, including his pest control licensing.

"We decided not to dwell," Fitzsenry said. "And rather than speculate on anything that could've happened, we're moving forward."  

Other changes at the Blue Room and other satellite eateries include increasing a meal credit's value to $6.60, up from $6.40. Some food prices have risen as ingredient costs have increased.

Kabob and Curry will continue to be served, available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 

Breakfast specials will no longer be rotated in the mornings.

"Waffles weren't great sellers," Fitzsenry said. Instead of different rotating specials, the breakfast smoothie and parfait bars will be open every morning.  

New frittata sandwiches made with LaSalle Bakery croissants and Bagel Gourmet bagels will be made using cage-free eggs, and customers will be able to mix different vegetable options into the frittatas at no extra cost, Fitzsenry said.

The brand of tea at the Blue Room has also been changed. "I'm a tea drinker, and we found a fantastic, Brown grad-owned brand of tea," Fitzsenry said, adding that the company, Teatulia, owned by Kazi Ahmed '92, prioritizes sustainability.

At Josiah's, the soup station was removed and induction cooking equipment was installed. This new cooking station will feature various rotating specials.

"There's a lot to choose from at that station," Fitzsenry said, including fancy grilled cheeses, pho and, this week, gourmet tacos.  

"Somewhere in town, there is a great duck confit quesadilla, so we decided to make that our own over here," Fitzsenry said. Tacos will be made with duck confit, pulled pork and Cajun shrimp with lime.  

For late-night eaters, Jo's will now offer breakfast sandwiches on the weekends. Salad-eaters also have some new options - whole grain salad, pink salmon and Pearlini mozzarella. 

At the Ivy Room, there is now a "tossed-to-order salad bar" at lunchtime, Fitzsenry said. Organic dressings are now available, and those that are gluten- or lactose-free are more clearly labeled.

The Freshens station was removed in lieu of a new smoothie bar that uses yogurts from northeast businesses, including Narragansett Creamery, Chobani Greek and Stonyfield Farms, along with real fruit juices and various berry options, Fitzsenry said.  

The Gate is also offering new menu items, including four new types of pesto and new deli meats at the panini station - "all things that make a good hot sandwich," Fitzsenry said­ - and 12-inch pizzas.

All of the dining halls will feature special cooking demonstrations this semester, with offerings such as garlic knot bruschetta, apple pie floats and a risotto bar, he added.

"We make it fun," Fitzsenry said of the demonstrations. "I've gotten to play with fire in public, which is always a good time."