Tech, consulting, finance to dominate career fair

Two-thirds of the firms at the fair will represent consulting, finance, retail and technology

The Center for Careers and Life After Brown will host its annual Fall Career Fair Wednesday, with more than 90 organizations aiming to introduce undergraduates to potential jobs and internships.

For the first time, students will have access to a photo booth to take professional pictures for LinkedIn profiles, said Andrew Simmons, director of the CareerLAB.

The fair is not only for seniors searching for jobs or students looking for internships, but also for other undergraduates who want to explore the range of opportunities available, Simmons said.

As in previous years, technology, finance, retail and consulting companies will make up about two-thirds of the employers present. These companies tend to have the resources for large-scale recruiting, Simmons said, adding that students not interested in those fields are encouraged to take advantage of the CareerLAB’s other resources, such as the peer-to-peer internship showcase in December, the January Career Laboratory, the nonprofit fair in the spring and various online tools.

In smaller numbers, organizations from fields including education, community development, environment, medicine, advertising, health care, law and government will also be present.

Zach Carroll, a representative from Citizen Schools, a nonprofit that provides after-school enrichment for low-income public middle schools, said he would be present to discuss careers in education, network with underclassmen and recruit seniors to a two-year teaching fellowship. He said Brown students have historically demonstrated great interest in the organization.

“Brown does a good job of broadening students’ interests to what’s out there,” he said.

Sheyda Bautista-Saeyan ’14 said she has been in contact with several of the consulting companies that will be present Wednesday. The fair is a perfect opportunity to “put a name to your face” while handing resumes to employers, she said.

John Brewer ’17, who said he is interested in business, said he heard about the fair during orientation and was planning on attending to get “an introduction to opportunities for this summer.”

Akshaya Avril-Tucker ’15, who said she hopes to pursue a career in music, said she did not intend to attend because there won’t be many arts organizations at the fair. She has already found career opportunities through the music department and other connections, but she might reach out to the CareerLAB to find alums in her field, she said.

The fair will take place from noon to 4 p.m. in Sayles Hall and in a tent on the Main Green. Students interested in law school can also interact with admissions officers from 20 law schools in the Kasper Multipurpose Room from noon to 2 p.m.

Students who attend the fair should “be sure to do a little research ahead of time and to dress appropriately — business-professional,” Simmons said.