Editors’ Note: Welcoming The Herald’s 133rd Editorial Board

<p>From left to right, back row: Caleb Lazar ’24, Peter Swope ’24, Augustus Bayard ’24, Will Kubzansky ’24. Front row: Kaitlyn Torres ’24, Alex Nadirashvili ’24, Katy Pickens ’24.</p>

From left to right, back row: Caleb Lazar ’24, Peter Swope ’24, Augustus Bayard ’24, Will Kubzansky ’24. Front row: Kaitlyn Torres ’24, Alex Nadirashvili ’24, Katy Pickens ’24.

The Herald is proud to announce the members of our 133rd Editorial Board, which will oversee the publication through its 132nd year.

Hailing from Washington, D.C., Will Kubzansky ’24 will lead The Herald in the coming year as editor-in-chief and president. Kubzansky is an international and public affairs concentrator who currently oversees staff and student labor, admissions and financial aid as a University News editor.

In his coverage as a writer, Kubzansky has diligently balanced a wide range of issues, including hard-hitting stories examining the University’s admission process and engaging features on topics such as student-athlete electric scooter culture. Kubzansky has spent his time at The Herald delving into the intricacies of student life on College Hill, from the moment Brunonians set foot on campus to their final steps through the Van Wickle Gates.

Chicago native Katy Pickens ’24 will be The Herald’s next vice president and managing editor of the newsroom, transitioning from her roles as Metro and Bruno Brief editor. Pickens is concentrating in urban studies and environmental studies and oversees The Herald’s coverage of housing, activism and local neighborhoods — specifically College Hill, Fox Point and the Jewelry District. 

Pickens steps into her new role with an extensive background in multimedia. She has led two impressive Bruno Brief seasons that have looked into gentrification on College Hill and sexual politics on campus. From her first story on how community organizations celebrated Black History Month during the pandemic to her most recent coverage of a proposed hotel on Angell Street, Pickens has kept her finger on the pulse of Providence and brought The Herald coverage that is equal parts important and engaging. 

Alex Nadirashvili ’24, an English and American studies concentrator from Hawthorne, N.J., will join them as managing editor of multimedia and social media. As a University News editor, Nadirashvili has led The Herald in its coverage of faculty, higher education, undergraduate student life and international student experiences.

With stories looking into how global issues have affected members of the Brown community and beyond, Nadirashvili has brought The Herald’s coverage to places as far as Iran, Ukraine and Myanmar, ensuring that our paper highlights experiences that reach beyond College Hill. Nadirashvili, who has led our newsroom’s TikTok account for the past year, will bring important creativity in a moment when The Herald looks to expand its social media presence. (Not to mention, he can recite the pilot episode of “Gilmore Girls” by heart.)

After spending nearly two years as an integral member of The Herald’s Opinions section, Augustus Bayard ’24 will begin a new role as senior editor of opinions this spring. A resident of Anna Maria, Fla., Bayard is currently concentrating in political science and economics.

Between his experience writing opinions pieces on American politics and serving as head opinions editor, Bayard brings The Herald a unique and valuable perspective that will serve his editorial board well. Sporting collared shirts and dress shoes even during the late hours of production, Bayard is known for dressing to impress — and, since starting at The Herald, impress he certainly has.

Studying computational biology and international and public affairs, Caleb Lazar ’24 of Newton, Mass., will serve as a senior editor of Data Desk for The Herald. Lazar currently oversees the University Hall and Graduate Labor Organization beats as a University News editor.

Lazar has been integral to The Herald’s coverage of the Graduate School, covering important topics ranging from the experiences of graduate student parents to grad student workers filing unfair labor practice charges against the University. Lazar’s impressive technical background made him an excellent fit to help lead our polls this year, deftly analyzing data and producing compelling data visualizations for our spring and fall surveys. With diverse experiences ranging from the sciences to multimedia design, Lazar is a multifaceted editor who will helm The Herald’s data journalism and digital innovations next year.

Kaitlyn Torres ’24, an archaeology concentrator from Carmel, N.Y., will take on the role of senior editor of community and post- magazine at The Herald in the coming year. Torres currently leads The Herald’s coverage in the diversity beat and serves as a University News editor.

Throughout her time as an editor and writer, Torres has been instrumental in expanding The Herald’s coverage to ensure underrepresented communities do not go overlooked. Between documenting the return of the Alpha Kappa Alpha, Incorporated sorority on campus to profiling storied Professor of Hispanic Studies Julio Ortega, Torres’s work has highlighted the variety of experiences and perspectives that make up the Brown community. With stories on campus TikTok stars and the Black Student Union’s annual Black Excellence Showcase, Torres has also made sure to enliven The Herald’s pages with articles that document joy on campus and resonate with our student readers.

Rounding out The Herald’s 133rd Editorial Board, history concentrator Peter Swope ’24 will soon step into the role of senior editor of digital engagement. Swope hails from Morris Plains, N.J., and has tirelessly led The Herald’s coverage of athletics as a Sports editor.

In addition to his frequent coverage of varsity athletics games, Swope has expanded the Sports section with adept features on how athletics shape our campus culture. From his inaugural story on Brown’s first Black student athletes to more recent stories on student olympian Vincent Zhou ’26 and the Super Bowl victory of Michael Hoecht ’20, Swope has covered the intricacies of athletics on and off College Hill. Swope worked with Lazar to run The Herald’s polls this year, diligently coordinating everything from polling shifts to the final website. With recent stories expanding into University News and Arts & Culture, Swope continues to go above and beyond as a writer and editor at The Herald.

To the staff members who will soon lead The Herald through another year: We have full confidence in you and are so excited to see everything that you will accomplish.

Editors’ notes are written by The Herald’s 132nd Editorial Board: Ben Glickman ’23, Benjamin Pollard ’23, Caelyn Pender ’23, Katie Chen ’23, Gaya Gupta ’23 and Jack Walker ’23 MA’23.